War on language plumbs new depths of insanity
If you thought that the war on language being waged by some American colleges was out of control, you ain’t seen nothing yet.
According to the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, using the term “politically correct” as a pejorative is a politically incorrect “microaggression”.
A campaign entitled ‘Just Words’ which seeks to “raise awareness of microaggressions and their impact” asserts that the terms “politically correct” and “PC” have “become a way to deflect, [and say] that people are being too ‘sensitive’ and police language.”
Other words and terms deemed offensive include;
– Lame (Because it “ridicules and ignores the lives of amputees”)
– Retarded (“Targets individuals with varying cognitive, emotional and physical abilities as targets for ridicule”)
– Thug (“Assumes that violence is the sole motivating factor in an action. Ignores issues of poverty, education and other institutional barriers”)
– Illegal Alien (“Fails to recognize the humanity of immigrants”)
– Crazy (“Creates a negative and demeaning of perspective of people with mental diagnoses”)
– Welfare Queen (“Assumes that a female individual is living off of welfare because she is lazy”)
– Trash (Uses class to marginalize and dismiss individuals of lower socioeconomic status”).
As the College Fix’s Peter Hasson documents, while calling for the use of common adjectives to be frowned upon, the man behind the campaign, Warren Scherer, has repeatedly used the word “Jew” as a pejorative.
As we have exhaustively documented, guidelines on behavior and speech being provided to both teachers and students at colleges across the country are emphasizing political correctness at the expense of free expression.
A “Bias-Free Language Guide” posted on the University of New Hampshire website which made headlines earlier this year asserts that the word “American” is “problematic” because it “assumes the U.S. is the only country inside [the continents of North and South America].”
Other discouraged words and phrases included, “obese,” “normal,” “mothering,” “fathering,” “homosexual,” “illegal alien,” and “senior citizens.”
Back in July we also reported on how the University of Wisconsin (Stevens Point) was teaching faculty members that all manner of harmless behaviors and phrases were examples of “racial microaggressions.”
Examples included; Asking someone where they are from or where they were born, telling someone they speak good English, telling someone that you have several black friends, saying that you’re not a racist, and complimenting an Asian person by telling them they are very articulate.
The biggest gay rights lobby group in the United States also recently called on schools to eliminate “gender stereotypes” by training staff to avoid using the words “boy” and “girl” in class.
SUBSCRIBE on YouTube:
Follow on Twitter: