Protesters Cause Havoc in Albuquerque, Police use Tear Gas

Mike Paczesny | The Rundown LiveBkBWPWOCQAA92B2

A protest over the Albuquerque Police Department’s use of force was finally subdued by 6-7 tear gas canisters.

The original protest started as a more peaceful demonstration outside of Albuquerque police headquarters. At that time, a couple hundred people were there to call for changes in the wake of the James Boyd Shooting.

Police used gas in an attempt to put an end to the protest that had lasted for more than nine hours.

Albuquerque police made arrests. Witnesses said they saw several people put into patrol cars.

At least one officer has been injured during the protest.

Protesters said they won’t stop until the chief is fired.

Image AP500 or more demonstrators marched through the streets, holding up signs and traffic in the process.

The protest made stops at APD’s headquarters, Civic Plaza and the University of New Mexico’s main campus.

Officers ordered the group to clear the area near APD headquarters, calling it an unlawful protest.

A standoff between protesters and police in tactical gear took place for more than an hour before protesters retreated and resumed their march.

Police briefly closed the northbound lanes of Interstate 25 after protesters started marching on the interstate.

Mayor Richard Berry’s office released a statement Sunday night saying, “Mayor Berry is actively tracking the situation in consultation with Chief Eden and command staff and has been all afternoon and throughout the evening. The city remains committed to the public’s safety as the highest priority.”

During the portion of the demonstration in front of APD headquarters, the group chanted for justice and accountability. Family members of those killed by APD officers also spoke.

Officials said the protesters did not have a permit.

The FBI announced it was investigating the Boyd officer-involved shooting.

The U.S. Department of Justice has been investigating the use of force in APD since 2012.