Local Milwaukee citizens have taken to the streets to collect more than 30,000 signatures to put full legalization of Marijuana on the 2014 fall ballot. All signatures need to be in by July 29th in order to qualify. The effort is a collaboration of various groups, political and medical to bring an end to marijuana prohibition in the city of Milwaukee.
The Milwaukee ordinance will allow Milwaukee citizens to possess no more than twenty-eight grahams of cannabis casually.
If passed in fall by local citizens, the ordinance would allow Milwaukee police to pursue crimes of more significance.
Since Colorado has seen legalized marijuana, Denver its largest city, has seen homicides drop 50% from last year’s levels, and motor vehicle theft has shrunk by over one-third. Violent crime in general in Colorado is down %10.6.
The Associated Press reported that nearly $19 million in recreational marijuana was sold throughout the state in just the month of March in Colorado.
The ordinance comes at a time Milwaukee has seen an increase in violent crimes and a shortage in law enforcement.
According to the American Civil Liberty Union (ACLU), the United States only has 5% of the world’s population, and has 25% of the world’s prison population – that makes us the world’s largest jailer.
The following stores have petitions available for signing:
- Closet Classics (1000 E North Ave Milwaukee, WI 53212)
- Art Smarts Dart Mart and Juggling Emporium (1695 N Humboldt Ave Milwaukee, WI 53202)
- Rochambo Coffee & Tea House (1317 E Brady St Milwaukee, WI 53202)
- Green Fields Trading Co (1800 N Farwell Ave Milwaukee, WI 53202)
Milwaukee Ordinance as proposed. To sign the petition or collect signatures activists will be at:
- Outside of Summerfest. Everyday. A dozen or more people if possible during busy times. We expect to collect thousands of signatures this way
- Jazz in the Park (Thursdays at Cathedral Square from 5-9PM starting June 5th)
- Chill on the Hill in Bayview at Humboldt Park (Tuesdays at 6pm starting on June 3rd)
- Summer Soulstice Music Festival (June 21 noon-midnight at intersection of North Ave and Murray Ave)
- Brady Street Festival – July 26th
- Bastille Days – July 10-13
- Milwaukee Air & Water Show (2272 North Lincoln Memorial Drive from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on June 21 and 22)
- Riverwest 24 – July 25-26, 2014 | 7pm – 7pm
If you would like to collect signatures and or sign the petition you can get more information here.