Elderly Woman Arrested for Feeding Animals on her Property
Kristan T. Harris | The Rundown Live
At 5 feet tall and 81 years old, Mary Mussleman in Sebring, Florida is being held in jail without bond. Mary was arrested for leaving bird seed and corn outside her home, apparently for bears. It is illegal to leave food out for bears in Florida. Neighbors claim that Mary has fed animals as long as they can remember including squirrels, rabbits, birds and of course bears.
Neighbors commented that they believe the local authorities used poor discernment. In the video below local citizens suggest local authorities did not put “a lot of thought into how to handle the situation”. It was also expressed that she is “81 years old” and this was an extreme “heavy handed” response.
She had been placed on diversion, meaning that if she didn’t violate the law for a certain period of time, her charges would have been removed the record.
But wildlife officials found 81-year-old Mary Mussleman feeding black bears about two weeks ago.
Authorities did a follow up and found bowls and trays with the corn and birdseed in front of her home. This was a clear violation of her probation. Deputies say Mussleman resisted arrest and threatened to shoot them next time they stepped foot on her property.
Why after 81 years has the city of Sebring, Florida chosen to pursue Mary Mussleman?
- July 7, 2014 New Drone Equipped with 3D printer Will Create Mini-Drones Throughout Mission
- June 3, 2014 University Discovers Electricity can be Generated by Dragging Saltwater Over Graphene
- August 20, 2014 Military Trains Blackhawk Helicopters over Minnesota
- August 16, 2014 Google Tracks Everywhere You Go, See Your Map
- August 19, 2014 Militia Saves Life of Illegal Immigrant
- June 16, 2014 Lindsey Graham: Next 9/11 is Coming from Iraq and Syria, and it’s ‘Inevitable’
- June 11, 2014 Child Protection Services Threatens To Take 13 Year Old for Twirling Pencil in School
- July 28, 2014 Milwaukee Police May Allow Filming of Officers for a More Peaceful Wisconsin
- June 27, 2014 Activists Collect 53,000 Signatures to Force 9/11 Investigation Initiative on Fall Ballot in New York
- July 22, 2014 Border Patrol Points Gun at Boy Scout for Taking Picture, Threatens Arrest